Washington is telling us that our problems result from a lack of consumer spending. Therefore, the solution is for government spending to pick up the slack. However, if Americans are too broke to spend, then how can our government spend for us? The only money they have is taken from us through taxation.
To postpone immediate tax hikes (adding interest for good measure), Washington plans to borrow more from abroad. However, if our foreign creditors refuse to pony up, much of the money will simply be printed instead.
Printing money is merely taxation in another form. Rather than robbing citizens of their money, government robs their money of its purchasing power. Many people assume that if government provides the funds we can spend our way back to prosperity. However, it's not money we lack but production.
If the government simply prints money and doles it out, we will not be able to buy more stuff; we will simply pay higher prices. The only way to buy more is to produce more. It is production that creates purchasing power, not the printing press!
(Schiff on the Casey Crisis Summit in Las Vegas)
- December (5)
- November (8)
- October (9)
- September (37)
- August (38)
- July (24)
- June (43)
- May (43)
- April (37)
- March (40)
- February (50)
- January (39)
- December (39)
- November (42)
- October (45)
- September (40)
- August (36)
- July (44)
- June (32)
- May (43)
- April (18)
- March (33)
- February (31)
- January (35)
- December (32)
- November (35)
- October (38)
- September (36)
- August (32)
- July (22)
- June (19)
- May (27)
- April (11)
- March (22)
- February (10)
- January (24)
- December (20)
- November (25)
- October (39)
- September (25)
- August (18)
- July (26)
- June (30)
- May (35)
- April (22)
- March (27)
- February (16)
- January (17)
- December (22)
- November (26)
- October (25)
- September (21)
- August (16)
- July (22)
- June (16)
- May (18)
- April (29)
- Recession Will End. Depression Will Follow
- Government Bonds
- Herald Tribune Article
- Schiff on the Jerry Doyle Show, March 26, 2009
- We Must Save and Produce
- Who Loses When Real Estate Prices Decline?
- It is Production that Creates Purchasing Power, no...
- Obama Wants to Restart the Spending Party
- Peter Schiff on Freedom Watch (VIDEO)
- "Road to Hell"
- Foreign Stocks Markets May Have Hit Bottom
- Wall Street Unspan - March 25
- Video Interview, MSNBC - March 25
- Market Update, Video Log March 25
- Buy a House or Rent One?
- Schiff on the Lew Rockwell Show
- Crash Proof Ranks #1 in Amazon`s Investing Categor...
- There is Going to be a Currency Crisis
- America Has Now Become a Banana Republic
- Americans Need to Save Not Consume on Credit
- Latest CNBC Video Interview, March 19
- Peter Schiff Podcast - Wall Street Unspun, March 1...
- Fed Rings the Mother of all Inflationary Bells
- This is a very dangerous time to be invested in US...
- Gold Prices after the FED Meeting
- Market Update Video - March 19
- The FED is Going to Destroy the US Dollar
- "Why The Meltdown Should Have Surprised No One"
- Schiff on FED Policy
- We need much higher Interest Rates
- Keynote Speech at the Annual Austrian Scholars Con...
- Obama is Trying to Preserve the Illusion of Wealth...
- Oil will move back to 100 Dollars
- Video Market Update, March 17, 2009
- Video - Schiff on The Lew Rockwell Show
- Video Market Update, 16 March 2009
- Buy a House For Free
- Is IMF Selling its Gold?
- General Electric - Nothing but a Hedge Fund
- The Value and Prices of Houses in the Future
- Should You Sell Your House Now?
- Schiff Market Update : Videolog March 12
- Peter Schiff On Bloomberg
- Schiff on Fox Business - Video
- Is China Decoupling?
- Peter Schiff on Freedom Watch, March 12, 2009
- Peter Schiff: The Bear Market is not Over
- Market Update - VideoLog - March 10, 2009
- Bad Economic News and its Impact on the Dollar
- Schiff Videolog, March 09
- Economic Data and Jobs
- Schiff on Kudlow`s CNBC Show, March 2009
- FDIC is Running Out of Money
- Market Update, March 6 (VideoLog Transcript)
- The Trouble with GM and GE
- China and the US Bond Market
- VideoLog: Market Update, March 6
- CNN Video Interview, March 3
- Dow Can Go to 4,000 points
- The United States is Broke
- Markets Update
- Peter Schiff Video: Dollar is a Subprime Currency
- A Bear Market Rally under Way?
- Video: Strategy Room, Fox News with Judge Napolita...
- Government Will Destroy what's Left of our Economy...
- Oil and Gold Prices
- Economic Plan
- Peter Schiff on Gold (Wall Street Unspun, Radio Sh...
- February (17)