While Obama did have some harsh words for Wall Street (not exactly a courageous political stance), he leveled no criticism at the Federal Reserve or other government agencies that had financed and guaranteed all the ridiculous real estate speculation that precipitated the crash. And while he at least conceded that the prosperity of the last decade was based on illusions, he continued to endorse the very policies that produced the mirage in the first place.
To lead us back to brighter days, he articulated a vision of a centrally planned recovery, where clean energy and a Soviet style five-year plan to double our exports would make our economy preeminent once more. He fails to understand that the only reason our economy rose to the top in the first place is that the government left it alone.
Rather than tightening the reins on the reckless monetary policy that undermined our savings, diminished our industrial output, inflated asset bubbles, and led to reckless speculation on Wall Street and excess consumption on Main Street, we are loosing them further. Rather than repealing regulations that distort markets and create moral hazards, we are adding new ones that do more of the same. Rather than cutting government spending to reduce the burden it places on our economy, we are increasing both the amount of the spending and the size of the burden. Rather than making government smaller so that the private sector can grow, we are making government bigger and forcing the private sector to shrink. Rather than paying off our debts we are taking on even more. Rather than encouraging people to save we are enticing them to spend. Rather than creating jobs, we are merely creating unemployment benefits.
As a result, instead of seeding the soil for a real recovery we are setting the stage for a prolonged depression.
Peter Schiff`s comments on the economy, stock markets, politics and gold. Schiff is the renowned writer of the bestseller Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse.
- What Is Full Employment To Janet Yellen?
- Momentum Stocks Are Having Trouble
- Quantitative Easing (QE) Is An Euphemism For Inflation
- China: No Evidence That Demand For Gold Will Slow
- Video: The Bullish Case For Gold
- People Are Starving For Yield
- What The Stock Market Really Wants
- Why the Fed Can`t Raise Interest Rates
- What Separates A Rich Country From A Poor Country
- Jack Lew: Germany Needs More Inflation
- ► 2013 (395)
- ► 2012 (438)
- ► 2011 (308)
- People`s Confidence In Fiat Money
- The Market Is Going Up Because Of Inflation
- Schiff On CNBC`s Fast Money (video)
- CNBC Video Interview: February 22
- Gold And The Debasement Of The US Dollar
- In The Environment We Have Now, Everyone Has To Ow...
- Reckless Monetary Policy And Inflated Asset Bubble...
- "I Am Going To Senate Because The Country Is In Tr...
- Videoblog: US Markets Update
- The Government Is Repeating All Of The Mistakes Th...
- President Obama And The Risks To The US Economy
- Government Efforts Can Result In Hyperinflation
- Video Update On Recent Market Events
- US Debt Monetization, Federal Reserve Independence...
- Instead Of Seeding The Soil For A Real Recovery We...
- Tax Cuts, Growth And Long Term Deficits
- ▼ February (16)
- ► 2009 (280)