We're going to see a huge contraction in GDP regardless of what we do. Our economy is more than 70 percent consumption, and we're consuming too much. That's part of the problem.
We have to consume less so we can start saving more. We have to transition from (a) a bubble economy based on excessive consumer credit and spending to (b) a stable, vibrant economy based on under-consumption, savings, capital investment, and production.
That transition is going to necessitate a large, one-time downward adjustment in our GDP. Then we can right the ship. Then we can get out of this hole and start building the economy back up again. But the government refuses to allow this to happen, and therein lies our biggest problem.
Related stocks and ETFs: PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (NYSE:UUP) , SPDR Gold Trust (ETF) (NYSE:GLD), iShares Silver Trust (ETF) (NYSE:SLV), Bank of America Corporation (Public, NYSE:BAC), JPMorgan Chase & Co. (Public, NYSE:JPM), Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (Public, NYSE:GS), Morgan Stanley (Public, NYSE:MS), Citigroup Inc. (Public, NYSE:C), Fifth Third Bancorp (Public, NASDAQ:FITB), SunTrust Banks, Inc. (Public, NYSE:STI), Regions Financial Corporation (Public, NYSE:RF), Financial Select Sector SPDR (ETF) (Public, NYSE:XLF), Direxion Daily Finan. Bear 3X Shs(ETF) (Public, NYSE:FAZ), Direxion Daily Finan. Bull 3X Shs(ETF) (Public, NYSE:FAS), Lennar Corporation (NYSE:LEN), KB Home NYSE:KBH), D.R. Horton, Inc. (NYSE:DHI), Toll Brothers, Inc. (NYSE:TOL), The Ryland Group, Inc. (NYSE:RYL), Hovnanian Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE:HOV), Bank of America Corporation (NYSE:BAC), Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC), SunTrust Banks, Inc. (NYSE:STI), Fifth Third Bancorp (NASDAQ:FITB), Huntington Bancshares Incorporated (NASDAQ:HBAN)
Peter Schiff`s comments on the economy, stock markets, politics and gold. Schiff is the renowned writer of the bestseller Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse.
- ► 2013 (395)
- ► 2012 (438)
- ► 2011 (308)
- We Are Heading Into Hyperinflation
- GDP Report, Bernanke Statement And Gold Stocks
- The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets (Upd...
- Latest Market Update: Markets And The US Dollar
- Recipe For Disaster
- Millions Of More Americans Are Going To Lose Their...
- Latest Market Update: US Dollar, US Economy And Tr...
- There Is No Economic Recovery
- The Value Of The US Dollar
- I Ignore The Certainties Determined By Wall Street...
- Eventually Gold Is Going To Go Ballistic
- We Are Going To See A Huge Contraction In GDP Rega...
- Next Crisis Is Likely To Be Worse
- The Government Has To Get Out Of The Way
- Video Market Update: US Dollar, Yen, Oil Prices An...
- I Want To Slash The Size Of The Government
- US Dollar, Japanese Style Economy And A Big Fat Wh...
- We Have Been Living Beyond Our Means
- ▼ August (18)
- ► 2009 (280)