From my perspective, the Twist really amounts to another Fed "Hail Mary" pass that will fall short of the end zone. But, by putting the squeeze on banks and further restricting credit availability to small business the move will likely do more harm than good.
The policy rests on the false premise moving already historically low interest rates even lower will stimulate the economy into recovery. But low interest rates are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Even by the government's debased standards, trailing headline inflation is already hovering above 4 percent, and, at current rates, 30-year Treasuries are negative by 100 basis points. This distortion is inflicting untold damage on the economy. Pushing rates further into negative territory seems only to invite more problems in the future.
Tickers, iShares Barclays 20+ Yr Treas.Bond ETF (NYSE:TLT), ProShares UltraShort 20+ Year Trea ETF (NYSE:TBT)
Peter Schiff`s comments on the economy, stock markets, politics and gold. Schiff is the renowned writer of the bestseller Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse.
- December (8)
- November (8)
- October (9)
- September (37)
- August (38)
- July (24)
- June (43)
- May (43)
- April (37)
- March (40)
- February (50)
- January (39)
- December (39)
- November (42)
- October (45)
- September (40)
- August (36)
- July (44)
- June (32)
- May (43)
- April (18)
- March (33)
- February (31)
- January (35)
- December (32)
- November (35)
- October (38)
- Australian Dollar & New Zealand Dollar Outlook
- Five Favorite Currencies for the Next Five Years
- Special Interests On Wall Street
- Bigger Budget Deficits Sap The Economy Of Vitality...
- Video: State Of The Gold Market
- Every Sharp Decline Has Shown Itself To Be An Oppo...
- Most Individual Investors Buy At The Wrong Time
- Precious Metals: This Leaner Market Presents A Gre...
- CNBC Video: Politics, Gold & The US Dollar
- The Market Will Continue To Fall Until The Federal...
- Low Interest Rates Are Part Of The Problem, Not Pa...
- People Are Selling Gold Because They Are Selling E...
- All The Banks That Got Bailed Out Will Fail Withou...
- CNBC Video Interview: US Stocks, Banks, Gold & Sil...
- One Of The Most Anti-Poor People Rules Is The Mini...
- Operation Twist Will Really Hurt
- As The Stimulus Is Wearing Off, The Recession Is R...
- The Source Of Our Misery
- We Have To Cut Spending
- The Government Has Made It Expensive And Risky To ...
- The Dismal Future of the U.S. Economy
- A Thought On Job Growth
- Video: Testimony Before Congress On Jobs Committee...
- What Grows An Economy? Savings & Investment Not Sp...
- Government Spending Cannot Be A Net Creator Of Job...
- Bonds Are In Bubble Territory
- Reaction to Obama Jobs (aka Stimulus) Speech
- The Good Thing For Gold Is That Most People Don’t ...
- President`s Speech On Jobs: Maybe If...
- I Believe That We Have Been In One Giant Recession...
- Video Market Update: Jobs Report, Gold & Treasurie...
- Dow Jones Industrials Measured In Ounces Of Gold
- Fox Business News: Video Interview, September 2011...
- Money Printing Is Not The Solution. Its The Proble...
- The Complicating Factor Is That Silver Is Both A P...
- RT Video Interview: Quantitative Uneasing
- August (32)
- July (22)
- June (19)
- May (27)
- April (11)
- March (22)
- February (10)
- January (24)
- December (20)
- November (25)
- October (39)
- September (25)
- August (18)
- July (26)
- June (30)
- May (35)
- April (22)
- March (27)
- February (16)
- January (17)
- December (22)
- November (26)
- October (25)
- September (21)
- August (16)
- July (22)
- June (16)
- May (18)
- April (29)
- March (68)
- February (17)