Today the Labor Department reported that 227,000 new jobs were added in February, representing the third consecutive month of job creation. Many observers have taken the report as clear evidence that the economic recovery has taken hold in earnest. However a second data set, also issued today, throws significant amounts of cold water on that assumption.
The Commerce Department reported that, after surging for much of the last year, the U.S. trade deficit expanded by $4.3 billion in January to $52.6 billion. This is the largest monthly trade gap since October 2008, and it comes with record imports. So in terms of trade, the U.S. is in exactly the same position we were during the opening act of the financial crisis.
While it may be true that we are adding jobs, it is also true that we are not adding the kinds of jobs that will put us on a sustainable path. Large and persistent trade deficits were a primary reason that the U.S. economy imploded in the first place. If we fail to build an economy that can pay for imports with an equal number of exports, we will simply revisit the pain of last few years. - in Lew Rockwell
Peter Schiff`s comments on the economy, stock markets, politics and gold. Schiff is the renowned writer of the bestseller Crash Proof: How to Profit from the Coming Economic Collapse.
- ► 2013 (395)
- The Stress Tests: They Tested The Wrong Things
- Video: If You Create Inflation, Prices Go Up
- We Are Going To Have Another Big One Coming Soon
- We Consume More Than We Produce
- Emerging Markets Outlook
- Problems Were Not Solved During The Crisis
- What Should Banking Stress Tests Really Test
- The Federal Reserve Is The Biggest Enemy Of This E...
- We Have To Kill This Phony Economy
- The Stock Market Rally Is A Delusion Created By Th...
- The Next Crisis
- How An Economy Works
- Gold, US Economy & Inflation
- The Importance Of Having Trade Surpluses
- We Are Not Creating A More Competitive Economy
- Videoblog: The US Economy Is Not Recovering
- Video: Peter Schiff with Matt Welch (Reason Magazi...
- I Don’t Think Either The United States Or China Do...
- We Are Going To Have Our Own Sovereign Debt Proble...
- A Recent Radio Interview With Lew Rockwell
- The Recession Should Have Forced Us To Address The...
- We Are Not Adding The kind Of Jobs That Will Put U...
- This Level Of Taxation Puts American Corporations ...
- How An Economy Works
- The Trouble With America's System Of Double Taxati...
- Our Government Collects A Portion Of Industrial Ou...
- Gold Prices Will Only Go Down When...
- The Fiat System Artificially Balloons The Financia...
- The Value Of The Dollar Has Fallen 86% Since Buffe...
- Gold Update & Warren Buffett Headlines
- U.S. Corporate Taxes: Freedom or Fascism? You Deci...
- We Need Higher Interest Rates To Clear Out The Mes...
- The Federal Reserve Wants To Create Inflation
- ▼ March (33)
- ► 2011 (308)
- ► 2010 (300)
- ► 2009 (280)